Sunday, 16 March 2014

Hanging on the Telephone

My phone is broken.  The nice man in the phone shop said that it wasn't me dropping it into a pint of water, pissed, but that it was a software fail that would have happened anyway.  I think he might have just been being nice.

I don't use my phone very much to speak to people.  Shelley answers the phone to me with the line: "Who's died?"  I've told her that she really needs to stop doing that as she is going to feel awful when I phone one day and give an affirmative answer.  Sam refuses to believe that I don't talk on the phone and so phones me for an hour or so three times a week anyway.  I've stopped hanging up on her so I obviously am less phone-phobic than I used to be.  She'll give up smoking soon enough and then will have to go cold turkey on the phone calls as talking on the phone makes her smoke, or smoking makes her talk on the phone; one of those I'm sure. ;-)

I'm trying to figure out while I feel like I'm missing a limb as I don't have my phone for four days?  I may not speak very much but I'm an avid texter and since finally succumbing to a smart phone I like always having my email and Facebook to hand too.  I met some friends at the station last night and I was the first one there (no surprise).  When Hanh arrived and I told her my phone was broken she said "but what have you been doing then?"

I kept reminding my friends not to lose me last night as we exited a very busy Leicester Square station as sans phone I would never find them again.  It occurred to me that I spent many a busy day and night as a teenager in London with no phone and I survived and didn't lose people. My soon-to-be Deputy Head commented dryly that if I did get lost last night I would sit and scream at the top of my voice until I was found again.  It's good that my future employers view me as such a professional...

As I'm writing this, I'm waiting for my husband to arrive home from the 1.30pm football match.  It's probably a good job that I don't have my phone on me at this point.  I'm not feeling abusive as yet but I may well be within a couple of hours.  I'm still looking forward to the first time I meet his boss after he messaged me telling me that he had Stuart's phone a few months ago - in reply to a message in which I had called Stuart a cunt for being so late.  First impressions are so important...

So don't call me, I'll call you.  Except I won't.  Well, not for a few days anyway.  Maybe not even after that.  At least you can rest easy at the moment knowing it's not that I don't want to speak to you.  I'd love to.  Just can't. x

No comments:

Post a Comment