Saturday, 8 March 2014

Happy Days

I just asked Sebi, whilst he was in the bath, if he had had a good day today?  I was relatively confident as it had included lunch at Granny's, two hours of stage school, dinner in a curry house and sunshine - what's not to like?

"Of course Mummy", he replied, "every day is a good day."

I suppose it is when you are four.  When do we lose that?  Maybe teenage angst stops the continuous flow of happy day into happy day or perhaps it hits as an adult when the weight of responsibility bears down.

Having said that, I am sure that much of it is a state of mind.  I came out of Trestle feeling slightly flat for the first time today since I have started the course.  I wasn't particularly hungover (!) and it was nothing to do with the quality of the material, which was, as ever, excellent.  I just didn't feel that I had excelled today or performed to the best of my ability, which doesn't sit comfortably with me.

I spoke to Sam and to Stu within half an hour of leaving and their replies were pretty much identical.  Something along the lines of: "it isn't like you not to think you're amazing." S'true I'm afraid.  I'm nothing if not an egotistical bastard.  In fact, by the end of the conversation with Sam when she asked me if I was going off to mope, I said, "what about?"

I tend to come up smelling of roses, (although today the aroma is definitely more sweat and curry).  It got me thinking about the attitude of those closest to me.  I don't tend to surround myself with miserable motherfuckers.  Life's too short.  I know that some people have been dealt a harsher hand than others and everyone has their off days, but my nearest and dearest tend to find their glasses half full rather than half empty, (metaphorically people, not just with wine!).

Having said all that, Stu has a cold this weekend and the fact that he is having to single-parent through this 'illness' is not sitting prettily with him.  Poor Stu.

I'd like to think that at 40 both of our boys will still be optimists.  It is an invaluable skill to nurture.  On that note, I'm going to bounce back into University tomorrow and be utterly fabulous and I am sure, distinctly annoying.

No comments:

Post a Comment