Friday, 14 March 2014

'Everyone has his day and some days last longer than others.' Winston Churchill

I went to see my Nana a couple of days ago.  Whilst we were chatting, it came out that she thought I still had a cleaner and I told her that I didn't anymore and I did my cleaning myself.  Cue Nana grabbing my hands and saying: "Darling, I'm so proud of you."

Really?  Each to their own but I reckon I'm achieving quite a lot at the moment academically and career-wise, yet, her delight in me is that I don't let someone else clean my bogs.

It got me thinking about the things you see as the best in other people, and of course, no shock to anyone, what did different people think was most fabulous about me?  Zak, I reckon would say the best thing about me was my cooking.  However, Zak would say the best thing about most people were what they cooked for him, unless any of those people were holding an Ipad...

Anything could come out of Sebi's mouth if he was asked the same question.  He might say something heartwarming like "being my Mummy", although he could equally say that my strongest quality was being good at Guess Who? so he is not necessarily to be trusted.  We were talking earlier about our appearance and I was saying that we looked alike.  Apparently not, according to my Mini-Me.  He says that I have a bigger nose, more rings through my ears and am not as nice-looking as he is.  Irritatingly, he is right on all counts.

I think I look for the humour in other people.  All the people I am closest to are blindingly hilarious.  I cannot imagine life with laughter in it, I try to ensure I'm laughing every hour, not every day.  I was talking to Sam the other day about how I loved being on my own in the house if the kids are ever away and she asked if I laughed out loud at my own jokes whilst alone.  Of course I bloody do!

We had a Mums' night in last night and as are my favourite kind of evenings we were trying to shock each other with our most controversial stories.  I won, hands down, of course.  Poor Stu innocently tried to make conversation at the school gate this morning but apparently one of the Mums couldn't quite look him in the face...

Luckily, I don't share those sorts of stories with Nana.  She is going strong and getting healthier at 100.  Mum, Dad and I had a sobering discussion the other day about the oldest person in the world who has just turned 116.  I'm not putting it past her.  If both my parents are still alive when she turns 116, they will be 90.  I think I may need to emigrate with that number of seriously aged relatives on my hands.  Dad won't be much trouble though.  He wants to be put in Tara's Retreat which is an old people's home in Sandridge and wheeled to and from the pub every day.  That I can manage I reckon.  Particularly if he keeps me in champagne for a few more years before then.

No comments:

Post a Comment