I feel like I'm dying this morning. In fact, I probably am. The last of my dinner guests left at 1.30am last night which meant I was on the sauce for six hours solid. The main problem however with Saturday night drinking is that it is then followed by Sunday lunchtime drinking. "Well just don't have a drink today", I hear you yell. That would be the sensible option I agree, but you haven't met my father. It is a rite of passage that we have some wine on a Sunday lunchtime whatever else is going on in our lives. In the bad old days pre-kids I remember one occasion of getting in at 5am and then setting my alarm for 11.45 to ensure I was in the pub with Dad at 12. Craziness. I've had a glass of wine during the final 'throws' of norovirus, a glass of wine with flu and even when I tried to be good at not drink AT LUNCHTIME when I was pregnant it was all a bit frowned upon.
The last thing I feel like this morning is a drink I must say. This week is worse than usual as my sister and her husband are staying with my parents and they have both given up booze so poor old Dad has been drinking alone. Don't worry Pa, here come the Wards to the rescue. Misery loves company but not nearly as much as boozy Stockers do.
I can't remember when I became fully aware of my own mortality. Probably not until I had kids. I put a huge number of unspeakable things into my body during my twenties and somehow have happily survived to tell the tale. On top of that I hardly ever exercised, ate a lot of take aways but was still nice and thin. I miss those days. I think mortality smacks you in the face when you have kids. You suddenly realise that maybe taking care of yourself is not just a selfish act but a necessary maternal decision. These days I don't smoke, eat too much junk, I ensure I get my five a day and I run twice a week. I hardly recognise myself. My weak link is now and will always be the demon drink.
The government advises two booze free days a week and mostly I adhere to that. I've always had 'No-alcohol Mondays' but these days I have no-alcohol Wednesdays too. A weekly 8am staff meeting on a Thursday is a big help there though. It tends to fall apart a bit in school holidays (which I seem to have quite a lot of these days ;-)) and I'm not sure that the 'government' would advocate the speed in which booze in poked down on the five other days either.
It would be boring to have no vices however and one thing I can never bear to be is dull. Milk Thistle is my new best friend. I may have interpreted the bottle slightly differently to how it actually works but apparently it is some kind of wonder-herb that means you can get really pissed without really damaging your liver. Nice one. Make mine a small herbal pill and a large pinot please.
On that note I must away to strap on my Sunday-lunchtime drinking wellies and fall back off the wagon again. Cheers...(Ugh!)
No comments:
Post a Comment