Saturday, 9 May 2015

'Never talk about religion or politics'

I always thought my Mum was old-fashioned when she quoted the above to me.  Suddenly I'm understanding why.

Social media is the medium of choice where everyone who is unhappy about the General Election result has their say.  I am happy about the result and I think that the economy has been being slowly repaired over the past five years and it will hopefully continue to do so. However, it is becoming increasingly more apparent that this is a dirty point of view. Tirades against anyone who has voted Conservative are rife with a strong feeling that we all should have admitted it previously so that the pre-election polls were correct.  I have always voted Tory. apart from last year, when I had the privilege to be able to vote for my Dad in a general election, and I have never hidden my political inclination.  I would have been surprised at myself if I had attacked the political views of any of my virtual friends if the result had gone the other way.  I have seen a few posts about 'not having any friends who voted blue', but yet have still not been deleted.  If you feel that strongly, let's part ways.

According to Facebook and Twitter ours is a totally unfair method of voting.  Having looked at the statistics, I think that is a fair shout from both the Left and the Right in this election. However, the British Public has the choice to reform the voting system four years ago and we chose to stay with the first past the post system, therefore how can we continue to complain about it now?

One thing I have noticed through managing my Dad's social media through the last two General Elections is the tendency for people to become too personal in their attacks.  I have sat on my hands and shut my mouth over many an insult but when I was presented with: 'John Stocker is a tosser' by somebody who had never met my father, I took exception; and took the accuser who was working from a false name, from behind a cartoon icon, to task.

Believe in what you believe in.  Stand up for what you believe in.  However, do not, confuse political beliefs with personal traits, and, do not ever, be carried along by a tidal wave of hate.

I think that we need to remember how lucky we are to have democracy at all; and that democracy has spoken, whether you like the result, or not.  We are, at least, able to vote without our lives being endangered.

No comments:

Post a Comment