Monday, 11 August 2014

The Circle of Life

I have just recovered from the worst two-day hangover of my life.  I thought I was going to die.  Seriously.  I was having heart attacks, kidney and liver failure all at the same time.  It was unpleasant.  This immediately followed 14 days of hardcore drinking, even by my standards, so it was well deserved.

It got me to thinking about the hideous injustice of not being able to drink forever as you could in your twenties.  Why can things just not stay the same forever?  Much as I am afraid to admit it, I am officially getting old.

After Zak has asked me to jump in five times with him in a row in the pool, I was bored shitless.  I used to do that for 10 hours straight as a child.  When did I get so boring?

Stu and I haven't partied like that on holiday since pre-kids.  It was brilliant, but I am also enjoying eating vegetables and drinking water today.  That would NEVER have happened before.  I would've been downing a bottle of vodka and crying over the fact my holiday was over.  Does this mean in ten years I will be one of 'those' women who has two white wine and sodas and that is quite enough?  I don't think so.  I bloody hope not.  I don't want to go clubbing anymore, definitely not.  What will I have lost over the next ten years?  Surely I can't go off pubs?  Maybe I need to make the most of them in what is left of my thirties, just in case.

I wonder sometimes about what our holidays will be like when the kids have left home.  I really hope we are still able to have fun by then.  I can't ever see me becoming seriously into sight-seeing or walking or anything that isn't lying in the sun and boozing but you never know.

Shell was telling me the other day about a pill that is being developed at the moment that simulates being drunk without actually drinking any alcohol.  You can then take another pill that stops it immediately with no hangover.  Sounds like the answer to all my problems but the problem is that is doesn't sound that fun really!  The best drunken nights are the ones that sneak up on you without warning, not a pre-medicated decision.  Plus, I know I would never get around to taking the second pill and would end up drunk and disorderly forever...

So, I will continue with my detox for a few days.  I have some seriously alcoholic pals coming to visit on Friday night so it will be all over by then.  That is followed by three child-less days so I reckon next week I will be mid-anxiety-attack-seriously-about-to-die-any-minute-now all over again.

At least I'm prepared this time. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment