Friday, 9 May 2014

Almost an Alcoholic

I drink too much.  Fact.  I blame genetics.

It has never bothered me, at all.  However, as I begin to leave my mid-thirties (it's true Shell, we can't deny it much longer), I wonder if it should start to bother me more.

I read an article a few months ago on the rise of 'Almost Alcoholics':

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25639406

...and thought the description fitted me beautifully.  I'm relatively sure I'm not a fully-fledged 'proper' alkie.  I have nearly never drunk alcohol whilst still in bed in the morning (Ibiza 1998 apart), I can go a few days off booze without pining for pinot (although I do tend to go to bed rather early) and I definitely never swing around the streets with stubble swigging out of a bottle of whiskey like they do on Eastenders; well it hasn't happened thus far.  I think I freaked the Year 8s out the other day when I was directing a rehearsal and told one of the boys to stand up and speak as if he was in an Alcoholics Anonymous Meeting and then I said, "but of course YOU wouldn't know what that was like...", which sounded the teensiest bit like I did.  Oh well, I'm leaving soon, never mind.

Anyway, back to the article.  There are five tell-tale signs that you have a drink problem. Number 1:

  • You continue to drink despite at least some negative consequences
Erm, well if that includes a hangover, that would have to be a yes.  I cannot see how a hangover is a non-negative consequence of drinking and having done some L-O-N-G work days after a night on the piss I would say that is a definite negative.

Number 2:

  • You look forward to drinking.
Forgive my naivety, but why would you do it otherwise?  I think I'm discounting this point as utterly ridiculous.

Number 3:

  • You drink alone.
Yep, absolutely.  Possibly my favourite type of drinking when it involves champagne...

Number 4:

  • You sometimes drink in order to control emotional and/or physical symptoms.
I can't say that I've ever drunk because I felt ill.  However, if I've had a bad day then this would definitely apply...

Finally, Number 5:

  • You and your loved ones are suffering as a result of your drinking
Apart from the hangovers, I don't think I suffer because of my drinking.  The kids definintely don't.  Stu would suffer more if I didn't chill out with a glass of wine and my Dad disowns me when I don't drink so I think we are probably ok on this one.

Having done this 'test', I began to think I was a proper alcoholic in total denial.  So I tried out some of the questions on my nearest and dearest.  I don't think somehow though that Stu, Shelley, Sam and Anna give a balanced view of the population; that's why they are my nearest and dearest.

My drinking habits have changed since I have been working so hard.  I have been drinking nothing at all during the week and then drinking like a woman possessed at the weekends.  Still not healthy.  It really is my only proper-full-time vice left though, (if being mean to people doesn't count), so I don't think I'm willing to give it up, or even cut it down, unless I have to.

I reckon if my liver ever packs up and I can't drink anymore then I may take up smoking again, or a full-time coke habit, or even crystal meth. ;-)  Let's hope that Milk Thistle does its job properly and that never happens.

Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment