Monday, 21 April 2014

MOTY

We 'popped' to the pub for lunch today.  Always a danger, particularly on a Bank Holiday. Luckily I was driving and giving my body a bit of a break after the bashing of the last few weeks/months/years/ever.

The sun shone and the bouncy castle was up and we all had a lovely time.  I was gently yet smugly telling my kids off every five minutes for getting slightly too near another kid on the bouncy castle, totally in the knowledge that they were being fabulous and it was completely for show to ensure that everyone could see what a good parent I was.

Let's fast-forward five hours then.  Car is dumped.  The sausage and chips that Sebi had for lunch without any veg which was going to be made up with a veg-filled dinner later has been trumped by a pasty out of a paper bag for tea.  Haven't looked at the kids for about an hour whilst there are squeals of delight (or maybe pain) from the bouncy castle.  My parents randomly appear to see their barefooted, ragged-short-wearing grandchildren bounding across a pub garden and mainly I have fallen off the wagon, once-a-bloody-gain and the feral offspring are revelling in the result.

All are now clean and in bed.  Nobody died and scurvy can be warded off with return-to-school-boot-camp-normality tomorrow.

It just makes me laugh at myself.  We went on holiday when Zak was four months old and we were the only family in the complex that were barricaded in our room by 7pm with the baby in bed and us taking it in turns to do a run to the bar and back.  Every time I came back with my round I gave 'poor' Stu a lecture on all the irresponsible parenting I had seen when I was out and about.  As far as I was concerned it was bordering child-abuse having these poor, innocent children up and having a fabulous time running about after their bedtime.  Who did these people think they were?

Last day of the holiday, we got completely twatted and Zak (eventually) fell asleep in his buggy, underneath a very loud speaker, whilst his parents danced the night away till 2am...

The thing I am so proud of about my own personality is that I absolutely and totally stick to my convictions.  That is, until I absolutely and totally don't anymore...

No comments:

Post a Comment