I've just fallen off my chocolate lent waggon, ten days early, and eaten an entire box of chocolates. I don't do things by halves. I've just cleaned my oven for the first time in 18 months as penance but I'm not sure that it a clean oven will be enough to get me through the pearly gates when my time comes...
Zak is reading the Bible at the moment, in its entirety. It is a Children's Bible but nonetheless I'm impressed by his dedication. His only view so far is that there isn't enough Jesus in it considering it is meant to be all about him. I've promised Zak that the second half makes Jesus Christ a Superstar. He was given this Bible by a local vicar during an assembly at school; all of Year 2 were. I'm delighted that he is taking it so seriously and taking such an interest, but I do find it odd that a non-faith school comes down so heavily with a Christian philosophy. I don't mind at all. In fact, I think it is a very good thing. I know however of one parent that was really angry about it and I am surprised that the school haven't come across strong views before.
Zak decided to take his Bible to discuss with Granny as she was 'the most proper Christian' in the immediate family. I think Granny dealt with her interrogation with great fortitude. Many weaker women would have buckled under Zachary's pointed finger and beady eye questioning the strength of her beliefs.
We were lost momentarily in Brighton this morning and Zak suddenly we suggested that we should pray. I told him that I would probably be able to sort it out on my own if I just had a moment to look at the map. Whilst I was looking at the map Zak told me it would be much quicker to ask God directly as he had made Brighton and therefore could just point us in the right direction immediately. At which point Sebi declared that Zak obviously didn't know what he was talking about as God was most definitely a 'She'. Amazing. The theological philosophising stopped dead at that moment, as I had nowhere to go on a feminist deity discussion with four-year old and Zak seemed to lose interest in God the minute he thought God could be more interested in dolls than footballs.
We managed to navigate our way, unaided, through the holy streets of Brighton. I would like to think that God has a sense of humour and enjoyed the meanderings of the Ward children so much that He/She looks indulgently this evening on their tired mother and her fat stomach full of illegal chocolates.
Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment