We went for our final visit to his teacher on Friday. She asked Sebi to draw his family and then wanted him to put the drawing in his work folder. He refused, predictably. I didn't realise that it was so important but the teacher was not backing down; that piece of paper was going in the folder. There was a huge stand off. Our meeting was about three times as long as everybody else's as Sebi sat cross-legged on the floor, (on top of his drawing), with his back to the teacher, and I tried to make light of the situation: "I have no idea where he gets this kind of behaviour from", followed by an unnaturally high-pitched nervous giggle. I was beginning to regret talking about my own teaching experience with this teacher as she was obviously wondering how I could possibly handle a class full of boys when I had absolutely no control over this particular one. We compromised with the fact that Seb would do another drawing to put into his work folder and he could take the original drawing home. He nonchalantly strolled over to the drawing table and looked me in the eye whilst doing the smallest, crappest scribble on a piece of paper and handing it to the teacher. If he knew how to stick two fingers up and what it meant, he would've done that to all of us at that precise moment. I feel Miss Lockyer may have met her match in the same way that I have.
So the baby is off to school. I am embracing my freedom with both hands and have had no more new baby wobbles. I had the delightful company of my gorgeous 7 month old Godson this morning for a couple of hours, and I loved every second, but when I handed him back I was relieved that I was at the stage of not having to watch my offspring every minute any more. A colleague of mine asked me this week if I was going to try and find another job to fill in the other three days that I'm not working now Sebi is starting school. Erm, no thanks. She assented that of course the children were still very young but then looked a little shocked when I said I was a part-timer by trade these days and could never see me going back to a full-time position. There will still always be miles to be run, books to be read and lunches to be eaten, won't there? Bring. It. On.
No comments:
Post a Comment