Wednesday, 28 November 2012

Road Rage

I've just had a little 'incident' on the roads.  Nothing major, just the teeniest bit of shoulder-shrugging, mouthing-swearing and finger-upping.  The bloke at the end of all of this abuse was probably a very nice man.  He just happened to be driving up my arse somewhat in his ginormous silly car which might have made me go ever so slowly just to antagonise him.  It worked.  We then went through our pantomime of swearing and arm-waving before driving off in different directions, both of us absolutely sure that we had put the other one firmly in their place and taught them a thing or two about driving.

The funny thing about being in a car, I find, is that it seems to give you the right to behave like a total thug.  Let's say the same man had stood too close to me in a pub or bumped into me in the street, I can't imagine it making me stick two fingers up in his face and call him a twat.

I'm not as bad as my husband and he is not nearly as bad as he used to be.  If Stuart thought that someone had transgressed on the road he would take it upon himself to chase them.  Oh yes, he would turn around and head off at high-speed in the opposite direction to the way he was meant to be going, beeping, flashing and driving right behind them until he thought they had been taught a sufficient lesson.  How he didn't end up with a knife between his shoulder-blades I don't know...

My boys are pretty useful accomplices.  Zak in particular is mastering the art of shaking a fist through the window at anyone old/stupid/incompetent and telling them that they really shouldn't be on the road.

I have nearly come unstuck a couple of times.  I wound down my window in a car park a few months ago to shout at some old/stupid/incompetent people who were cocking up their parking so badly that they were blocking the entire car park and causing gridlock. Unfortunately, this threw them into a blind panic and made the whole process take even longer.  I was slightly concerned that one of them was about to keel over at one point as I yelled at him and could see headline in the Herts. Ad as something like the following:

"Local mother and teacher frightens pensioner to death in St Albans car park."

That possibly wouldn't be my finest hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment