Monday, 17 April 2017

Marvellous Muscat

I reckon I have pretty much done forty now as hard as it could possibly be done.  It's been going on for about a month and I'm absolutely knackered.  It started with a weekend in Dorset with my besties, followed by the party to end all parties and ended with eight days in Muscat.

With my previous track record, I don't blame my Dad for checking every day in the week previously that I was definitely going to get on the plane.  For the large majority of both the inward and outward journey, I was very calm and occasionally relaxed; it's amazing what free-pour champagne achieves really isn't it?  I reckon we have ruined the boys forever - Ryan Air just isn't going to cut it from now on. Zak was in heaven with his fully reclining seat, free choice of games and movies and someone who brought him food every time he looked at them.  Sebi, was, of course, more suspicious:

"Why have they just offered me coffee and a newspaper?  I'm seven.  Obviously I don't need either of those things."

"Well darling, they just don't want to treat you any differently."

"Do I LOOK like I drink coffee and read newspapers?"

Cue Sebi retreating underneath a duvet with a game of Space Invaders for the next hour and a half with his bottle of seven-year-old-appropriate water.  To be honest, it was a relief for everyone.

They were, of course, very grateful to Granny and Grandad for the amazing treat, as were we all, but there were some seriously cringey 'say what you see' moments too.  Oman Airport is beautiful and we were whisked seamlessly through check in, fast-track security and the Business Class Lounge.  When we were about to board the plane and we were in the queue for the bus by the gate, Zak said, rather too loudly:

"But Mummy, we're in the wrong bit.  We're with everybody else.  Where is the Business Class queue for this part?"

An innocent question from an actually not generally that spoilt child.  The 300 people around us however thought they had just encountered the world's largest over-indulged brat.  Fortunately we didn't have to put up with the disgusted looks for long as we were soon back in our classy bubble.  Now, where did I put that free champagne? ;-)

The hotel was suitably amazing.  I couldn't believe I bumped into Sally who I went to school with on Day 1.  Surreal.  It always does my head in that when we are in the middle of London, Zak will say, 'oh look, there is Mrs so-and-so from school', or 'there is our next-door neighbour'.  I've got really cross with him in the past and said that there are billions of people all over the place and we are unlikely to ever bump into anyone we know.  That argument doesn't wash anymore I feel...

It really was the holiday to end all holidays.  I'm not sure that other families in the future will benefit from the 'children eat free' at the buffet situation as the waiting staff realised that Zak was cheerfully putting away what they could have charged three grown men for at every meal.

So far, forty, so good.  As long as this kind of lifestyle continues, I reckon I will cope with the next decade just fine!  :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment