Sunday, 18 January 2015

When they were very young...

Stu and I had a discussion this weekend about whether we think we will miss these days with the kids when they are teenagers.  My mother is convinced that we will, but on the days when you are in the park at -1 degrees just because you can't bear to be in the house any longer with them laying into each other, it is hard to imagine.

I don't miss them being babies.  I was just looking back nostalgically at some photos thinking how delicious they were, but that doesn't make me want to go back to those days. Buggies, nappies and not being able to leave the house between 12 and 2.30pm made life a little more restrictive than it is these days.

The only thing I am worried about losing is the physical affection.  How long much longer is Sebi going to grab my face ten times a day and kiss me square on the lips.  I would like to think we have a few more years of that but at the same time he may start getting the shit ripped out of him if it goes on too long.  Zak went off kissing about the time he came out of nappies...

Sunday morning swimming is something I long to give up on and will not miss AT ALL.  At least after 18 months, Sebi has started actually moving forward, all be it with a woggle, and has finally released his orang-utan grip from his poor instructor.  We still have the rite-of-passage tears before he gets in each week but even he doesn't look convinced by them any longer - it is purely for my benefit.

Will the things that they say stop being hilarious as they get older?  I think not.  I think we just then fall into the seriously embarrassing-parents-category when they are teenagers and we will simultaneously lose all sense of fashion and humour and decorum.

We've had a hint of Zak's teenage self this week as he has had a week's ban from the ipad for the first time.  With good reason.  He learnt Stu's password over his shoulder, one letter at a time, (the kid has determination and staying power - I'll give him that), and then bought a whole load of new characters for 'Crossy Road'.  Over £60 in total.  Luckily, Stu was in London on a night out when the emails started coming through as I hate to think of the confrontation if him and Zak had been in the same room!  Apple refunded all of the charges after one phone call with no argument, as they said it was 'unusual account activity', which I thought was pretty incredible and above and beyond customer service requirements really.  It is killing Zak not having any screen time and I am revelling in the control-freak potential of it (shock).  Sebi is still getting to play on the computer or the ipad and if Zak can't control himself and leans over to touch it, he loses another day.  At this rate, he may get it back somewhere during the summer of 2017.

Poor old Zak.  The whole world conspires against him.  He has been trying to convince me that his very lovely class teacher was 21 last week.  This lady is fabulous and attractive but most definitely about my age.  I have tried to convince Zak that she is more likely in her late 30s but he is having none of it as 'she wouldn't lie'.  The fact it could have been a joke instead did not wash with him.  Unfortunately for Zak the teacher and I happened to bump into each other after a few glasses of wine had been consumed on Friday night in the pub and I shared this with her.  I think I howled with laughter just a millisecond longer than she did about the fact that she could possibly, actually, be 21 years old.  Oops.

I love them.  They're gorgeous; but they're getting older and I love that too.  I reckon Sebi will fit into his size 4-5 trousers soon.  Zak takes great pleasure in winding me up by telling me that he is going to go to Sandringham instead of Beaumont when he is 11 as 'then he will get an ipad'.  I reckon he has this rose-coloured vision of secondary school where there are lines and lines of Demon-Headmaster-style pupils playing Crossy Road for six and a half hours every day.  He may have a rude shock to his system in a few years, wherever he ends up going.  If only I could be so decisive about my own next secondary move for such solid reasons... ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment