Sunday, 29 June 2014

Like Father...like Son-in-Law

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7593336.stm

I've always laughed in the face of articles like the above, which profess that women tend to marry people that resemble their fathers.  I am beginning however to laugh on the other side of my face...

Stuart took his Father's Day present back to Marks and Spencer yesterday, (how rude, who doesn't need a pair of Mr. Men socks for every day of the week?), and returned with a really nice checked shirt.  A really nice checked shirt that looks as though it came straight out of my Dad's wardrobe.

I have always thought that Stu and my Dad were polar opposites, even though they have got on very well.  In the way that dogs begin to look like their owners over time, or owners begin to look like their dogs, I feel this son-in-law is becoming more like John Stocker every day.

There is a general intolerance of rude, drunken, swearing people in pubs.  This is unfortunate for me as quite often my default stance in a pub is rude, drunk and swearing.

I think my Dad forgets the blood link occasionally, or believes that male fellow feeling is more important.  When I meet him for a drink, even if he is the one who has arranged it, I am often greeted with: "your husband let you out then did he?"  I know he only does it to wind me up - so it annoys me that it still does manage to slightly irritate me.

So I will monitor any future shopping decisions by my spouse with interest, quietly.  I will only ever get involved if he follows the dodgy fashion decision of bright blue crocs with beige socks pulled up to the knee.  There are some things that only my Dad can get away with.

Who knows, maybe the boys will bring home someone who resembles me one day?  I think that may be the point that Stu flies our happy nest.  One of me if more than enough for any man to have to put up with I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment