Wednesday, 26 June 2013

A Frosty Reception

We've just had Sebi's induction morning at Reception.  I don't remember doing this with Zak and I just figured that it was a new thing that they had brought in during the last couple of years.  No, apparently not.  It seems as though I may have just 'missed' it last time. That seems relatively slack, even for me.  I know that I deliberately always skip the new parents' talks nowadays as I can't bear all the hot air that tends to be spouted there but surely I would've taken poor old Zak in to see his new classroom?  Maybe not.

Anyway, Sebi and I hit Reception today for an hour, (oh yes, that's a long, long, time to meander around a relatively small classroom with too many children in it), and then lunch. Anyone who knows my 'fuck off I've got enough mates' face from seeing it around school before, would, I think, have been surprised at the new heights it hit today.  Don't get me wrong, I didn't stomp around in silence for an hour but I carefully chose the people I was willing to talk to and those I definitely wasn't.  A mother of a child I have referred to as an abbreviation 'HM' in previous posts was obviously top of this list, but luckily she seems to have got the message, and it fills my heart with joy to report that our loathing seems completely mutual nowadays.  Job done.  There was another lady however, who was desperately following me around and trying to make eye contact for most of the session. I'm sure if you asked ten people who knew her if she was a nice person then all ten would agree that she is, but having observed her from a distance during nursery pick-ups/drop-offs I just know that she would do my head in, immediately, and so we are best not becoming acquainted.  What's wrong with her?  Not a lot.  The fault most definitely lies in my personality, but I cannot cope with over-zealous-highly-competitive-my-perfect-middle-class-life-is-actually-such-hard-work-but-nobody-else-possibly-understands mothers who talk too much.  Ahhhhh, that's better.

She will get the message soon enough in September I'm sure.  I was out to lunch with one of my BFFs Kate the other day and we were frankly discussing the playground politics.  Kate's children are at a different school and she visibly cringes when we talk about how differently we behave in the playground.  Kate is a very friendly, open person and she has come across more difficult personalities like myself in her own playground. She now keeps her distance from those scary witches.

So, back to today.  Over lunch, the Headmaster came and sat next to Sebi for a few minutes.  Seb studiously ignored him and carried on eating his bread and butter.  After a little prompting and a poke from his mother in the ribs he deigned to answer one of the Head's earnest questions with a small nod; avoiding all eye contact however.  He hasn't managed to hone his antisocial skills effectively enough yet to realise that whilst cheerfully discounting the masses we can't be bothered with, it is important to always make time for the big cheeses in life.  We'll get there in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment