Thursday, 28 June 2012

Playground Politics

"I've got enough friends"; that's my mantra.  I've got the girls I couldn't live without who I can fit on the fingers of both hands and then I've got a lot of other people in my life that I love spending time with.  Really though, to make the grade these days, someone needs to be pretty fucking funny (and not expect any phone contact).

Having joined the ranks of full-time Mums however, I'm coming into a lot of contact with a lot of new people on a twice-daily basis in the playground.  I have quickly sussed the couple of people that may become  real friends one day, the handful that I like passing the odd anecdote with and the people that I can't be arsed with, at all.  The problem that I struggle with is that playground law seems to dictate that any boring old bird can imagine that they are your bezzie just because you happen to have kids at the same school.  Now I do a good line in 'fuck off' faces but some people just don't seem to get the message.  ('Fuck' twice in one blog post already, so quickly it is unravelling.......)

I think I shocked one of the decent Mums the other day by explaining that one of other Mums made me feel like headbutting her.  Not appropriate middle-class St Albans speak by any means.  One of my BFFs Samantha is realising that the four years hard labour she has put in forming decent relationships with other playground Mums is potentially being devestatingly and irreparably damaged by my embarrassing bad manners.


Maybe in a few years I will hurtle into middle age and realise that I have a lot more in common with these people than I first thought.  Or maybe, I've got enough friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment